What We Value
Our values describe how we desire, humbly and prayerfully, to live out our mission in community together as we follow Jesus:
… love like Jesus
- When the light of God’s love shines through a broken vessel, God gets all the credit and glory. We live to shine this way.
- …with unplanned acts of love and kindness in Jesus’name.
- Love the broken and hate the sin that binds the broken, following gentle but firm Biblical guidelines.
…live like Jesus
- God’s word was Jesus’ life-blood. Ours too.
- Reject consumer-Christianity by spending ourselves on behalf of others. People matter more than programs.
- Jesus was in constant conversation with the Father, and made all of his big decisions after a night of prayer. So should we.
…welcome who Jesus welcomed
- People are invited to belong with us before they believe, in personal friendship and in community.
- Maintain a culture of grace where it’s safe to expose woundedness without rejection and creating space for God’s healing.
- In essentials of the Christian faith—unity; in non-essentials—liberty; in all things—love.
…journey together like Jesus
- Lead every child, student and adult to experience the journey and grow spiritually in a smaller group context.
- Partner with parents in the spiritual and character development of children and students
- Partner with couples to build strong marriages, and with singles to grow nourishing relationships in community.
- As a local church, SMC is a community where people are encouraged and equipped to follow Jesus and walk alongside those not yet following Him.
…serve like Jesus
- Follow Jesus by partnering with the ministry of the local church at SMC.
- Offer leadership training and placement opportunities that enable each partner to develop their passions and strengths.
- Give generously of our time, abilities and resources.
…engage like Jesus
- The church exists to go out into the whole world, so SMC creates pathways for every person to follow Jesus to the broken, needy and lonely.
- Extend the love of Jesus to those hungry for God and bread to those hungry for food.
- Cultivate local/global partnerships that have the possibility of meeting the deep needs in our surrounding culture in significant ways.